DEC’s Adirondack Trail Information web site provides trail closures and notices for the portion of the Adirondacks in NYSDEC Region 5, which are divided into areas corresponding with the DEC Forest Ranger zones.
- Northern Adirondacks includes most of the Adirondack State Forest Preserve and easement lands in Franklin County and a small portion of northwestern Hamilton County, including the following units: DeBar Mountain Wild Forest, Deer River Primitive Area, Madawaska Flow/Quebec Brook Primitive Area, Round Lake Wilderness, Santa Clara Easement Lands (former Champion Lands), Saranac Lakes Wild Forest, St. Regis Canoe Area, Whitney Wilderness/Lake Lila and the northern portion of the Adirondack Canoe Route.
- Northeastern Adirondacks includes the Adirondack Forest Preserve and easement lands in Clinton County, northern Essex County and a small portion of eastern Franklin County, including the following units: Chazy Highlands Complex, Jay Mountain Wilderness, Lake Champlain Islands, Split Rock Wild Forest, and Taylor Pond Wild Forest.
- High Peaks includes the Adirondack Forest Preserve lands and easement in northwestern and central Essex County, and some Forest Preserve lands in southeastern Franklin County and northwestern Hamilton County, including the following units: High Peaks Wilderness, Dix Mountain Wilderness, Giant Mountain Wilderness, Hurricane Mountain Primitive Area, McKenzie Mountain Wilderness, Sentinel Range Wilderness and Wilmington Wild Forest
- Central and Southern Adirondacks includes the Adirondack Forest Preserve and easement lands in most of Hamilton County and Fulton County, and a some Forest Preserve lands in western Essex County including the following units: Blue Mountain Wild Forest, Blue Ridge Wilderness, Ferris Lake Wild Forest, Jessup River Wild Forest, Moose River Plains Wild Forest, Pigeon Lake Wilderness, Sargent Ponds Wild Forest, Shaker Mountain Wild Forest, Silver Lake Wilderness, West Canada Lakes Wilderness and the central portion of the Adirondack Canoe Route.
- Eastern Adirondacks includes the Adirondack Forest Preserve and easement lands in southern Essex County, Warren County, eastern Hamilton County and Saratoga County, including the following units: Hammond Pond Wild Forest, Hoffman Notch Wilderness, Hudson Gorge Primitive Area, Lake George Wild Forest, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Santanoni Historic Preserve, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest and Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.
- Southeastern Adirondacks includes the Adirondack Forest Preserve lands in Washington County, all of these lands make up the eastern portion of the Lake George Wild Forest.
The information provided is fairly general in nature, and while it is updated regularly, it may not reflect current specific conditions. The local Forest Ranger is the source for more current and specific information. Use this link to obtain the name and phone number of the local Forest Ranger or call the DEC Region 5 office at 518-897-1200.SHARE