All the Ingredients for a Winter Lunch
This picture shows all the ingredients for a good lunch break during a winter expedition.
- Hydration – You lose more moisture than you may realize exerting on a winter trek so drink up. Notice the Nalgene water bottle parkas to keep the water from freezing en route.
- Easy to eat snack – In this case, trail mix. Skip the prepackaged stuff and make your own. My favorite recipe for gorp includes peanuts, Reese’s Pieces, raisins/dried fruit and Honey Nut Cheerios. Vary to suit your taste. Remember, don’t reach in the bag for your share – no one wants to share your germs. Either pour from the bag into your hand or make a temporary container from a plastic bag or your hat and pour your portion onto it.
- Hard candy – For quick energy, suck on a hard candy like Jolly Ranchers. Grab a couple extra and stash them into your pockets for a boost later in the afternoon.
- An insulated pad to park your butt. Some people keep a small piece of closed cell insulation readily available just for this purpose.
- Sunshine – It always makes the day nicer.