Selecting a comfortable camp site is a useful skill for all campers, regardless of the season. While orientated towards three season backpackers, here are ten things SectionHiker looks for when evaluating different camping locations:
1. Is the site close to a water source?
2. Is your campsite safe from hazards such as rock falls, flash floods, high tide or avalanches?
3. Is the surface free of stones, broken branches, and roots?
4. Is your campsite situated on compacted ground?
5. Is the campsite fairly level?
6. Is the campsite set off from hiking trails and game trails?
7. Is the campsite private and quiet?
8. Is your campsite 200 ft away from a water source? (Opps, reference photo.)
9. How hard is the wind blowing?
10. What’s on the ground?