Here’s a checklist of tasks I try to do after I get home from a winter camping trip.
The first thing I do is make a note of items that I didn’t use and/or need to bring along. I also try to make note of gear or clothing that met and/or exceeded my expectations.
Then it is on to the work of cleaning up:
- Throw out all my accumulated trash.
- Air out my sleeping bag and make sure it’s dry before storing un-stuffed in a large cardboard box.
- Wash my dirty clothes.
- Get all my outer clothes and footwear dry.
- Hang up my tent/tarp and make sure it’s completely dry before storage.
- Replenish any items used from my first aid kit, such as Ibuprofen supply.
- Replenish my toilet kit with toilet paper, plastic bags and/or hand sanitizer if necessary.
- Rinse out my water bottles and thermos.
- Stash any uneaten leftover food or snacks for the next trip.
- Store any unused fuel in a safe place and dispose of used fuel canisters.
- Wash cooking gear and eating utensils.
- Store everything away for the next trip.